Thursday, November 17, 2016

Twelve titles

A few weeks ago I was talking about John 1 in the assembly. I mentioned I'd counted seven titles of Christ there, but realized I'd missed at least two. So I enlisted the assembly to help me count them, and people started calling out titles they saw. We got up to twelve that day, but there's at least one more an older brother mentioned to me later.

Here's the working list I have so far:

  1. the Word (John 1:1)
  2. Light (John 1:8–10 )
  3. Only-begotten of the Father (John 1:14)
  4. Christ (John 1:17)
  5. Only-begotten Son (John 1:18)
  6. The Prophet (John 1:21)
  7. Lord (John 1:23)
  8. Lamb of God (John 1:29)
  9. Son of God (John 1:34)
  10. Rabbi (Teacher, Master) (John 1:38)
  11. King of Israel (John 1:49)
  12. Son of Man (John 1:51)

There's a lot to be said about John 1, it reaches back to before there was anything except God. It pulls the curtain back just a bit and lets us see what "before time" looked like. John 5 goes even further, but that's for another day.

I've been chewing over John 1 for several weeks now, and there's a whole lot in that chapter. It's been a good investment of my time.

1 comment:

Jack said...

Such a useful post it is, I am glad I read it and know this useful information. Going to share it with others as well, thank you for posting it and keep sharing such posts